Smoke alarm alerts man to fire in Kenilworth, Yate this morning
By matt_2009 | Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 09:52
A man was woken by his smoke alarm and escaped his home in Kenilworth, Yate this morning after a kitchen fire broke out.
Smoke alarm alerts man to fire in Kenilworth, Yate this morning.
He managed to get to a window and, with the help of a neighbour, safely escape his bungalow and call the fire service.
Two fire crews from Yate and one from Kingswood keep to the scene at about 3am.
Upon arrival the fire was already out but ventilation fan was used to clear smoke from the property.
The occupier was given oxygen therapy by fire crews, as he had inhaled some smoke.
A spokesman for the fire service said: "Firefighters from Green Watch attended the bungalow, and recognised it as an address they had visited a year ago, when they carried out a Home Fire Safety Visit.
"During that visit, they fitted two smoke alarms in the bungalow and it is believed that it was one of these devices which alerted the man to the danger.
"This incident serves as another reminder of the importance of having at least one smoke alarm on each floor of your property, and of ensuring it is properly maintained.
"Just a few breaths of thick smoke from a fire can render someone unconscious."
Avon Fire & Rescue Service offers free Home Fire Safety Visits to vulnerable people. To see if you, or somebody you know, may be entitled to such a visit, call 0117 926 2061.