COMMUNITY PLAN DELIVERS SUCCESS FOR TOWN
"Yate's Community Plan has proven to be an overwhelming success with many achievements for the town" outgoing Chair of the Community Plan Group, Sue Walker, told the AGM recently.
Martin Monk was elected the new Chair and called upon more people to get involved in driving the plan forward: "It is a plan for the people of Yate and needs their active support if the momentum is to be maintained".
The list of achievements achieved by the Community Plan includes:
• Yate in Bloom flourishes annually and the town has won several awards
• The Friends of Yate Station has succeeded in improving both the station frontage and improvements to services
• The Armadillo Youth Cafe is fully operational
• Sodbury & Yate Business Association meets monthly
• A draft location map of Yate's Green Areas has been produced
• Electronic noticeboards advertising events and services located in public buildings in Yate town centre
Encouraging people to get involved in the future, the new Chair, Martin Monk, stressed the importance of getting the Town's youths actively working on new ideas. "Their understanding of social media should be tapped and it is important that we take our work to them. We will be holding a Community Plan meeting in the Armadillo Youth Cafe so that we can engage with them on new plans and ideas to move the town forward.
"The Town's residents wanted a Community Plan and now it is their chance to support it and come forward with ideas that they can drive forward. I want people to meet us to come up with ideas on how we can make Yate a better place to live and work. There are several initiatives underway already but we can't afford to stand still. We must always look at what can be done next!
"If people can't attend one of our meetings, the next being at 7.30pm on 6 March 2013 at Yate Shopping Centre management suite, they can contact us via Yate Town Council at firstname.lastname@example.org."